Its seems that from a fairly young age we develop coping mechanisms to help us survive with long term stress/ongoing stressful situations. If the problem is long term we often lose sight of this ‘coping behaviour’, ultimately deeming it as ‘normal’ but, our body still continues to adapt until finally the coping behaviour itself can become part of the problem, such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Say that your job or workplace becomes stressful, what might happen?
- strain develops between you, your colleagues, and within your work environment
- you feel on edge, you are not sure how to address the situation
- you become unsure of how you are percievied
- you become concerned about your future within the company
- you feel that the only solution is to leave but you need the money and there are few jobs around that offer the flexibility
So you feel stuck and you begin to develop a coping behaviour to help you deal with the situation. What might happen?
- you may become isolated, withdrawing from colleagues conversations etc
- you may take time off work sick more frequently
- you may offer little input
- or you may work earlier or later hours to avoid colleagues and confrontation
How does this affect your home life? What might happen?
- you are short tempered with family, friends and loved ones
- you are now too tired to go out or meet up with friends
- you become detached and don’t discuss or admit the problem
And finally, how does this affect your health?
- you may have developed a skin disorder such as psoriasis/eczema
- usual symptoms during monthly cycle have worsened
- you experience tension headaches, backache and migraines
- you can’t sleep very well and become restless
- you become anxious
- you feel bloated and have become constipated
This is just an example of a simple situation that can put a great deal of strain on the emotional and physical body and ultimately take its toll on our well being.
Hypnotherapy Can Help You By:
- addressing the underlying fears associated with the problem
- give you coping techniques and strategies to help you feel more in control
- provide deep relaxation to help calm to mind and body
If you’d like to experience Hypnotherapy from the comfort of your own home, try my Hypnosis for Deep Relaxation recording and see how you feel!